Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have just had blood from my penis. I had to strain to pass

Customer Question

I have just had blood from my penis. I had to strain to pass urine.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

Are you passing blood clots? Can you urinate now? Does it burn when you urinate?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did have clots and it is a little sore to urinate
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am still passing some blood when I urinate. There is very little pain just a little soreness internally.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

Ok. You need to get in to see our urologist today for urgent evaluation. If you don't have one, you need to go to the ER.

Blood in the urine can be an indication of a prostate infection, prostate cancer, kidney stones, or tumors of the kidneys, ureters, or bladder. This is why it is important to get in to see a urologist to have a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis done and cystoscopy to rule out the stones and cancerous causes. While the cancerous causes are not likely, they should not be missed and this is why this evaluation is very important. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.