DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board certified internist
Experience:  In internal medicine we deal with prostate, bladder and kidney diseases, including cancers.
24257177

Happy new year Dr! ,married old male here, I made an dumb

Customer Question

happy new year Dr! ,married old male here, I made an dumb mistake and had an encounter with a woman I don't know 9 months ago. unprotected oral and quick anal, we stopped as it was unpleasant. one week later I had sex with my wife twice unprotected. a week or so after that I noticed very clear discharge from my penis, burning when urinating, blood in urine and red tip urethra. went to walk in, they gave me 1 g z pack and a needle in buttocks forget the name for gonorrhea and chalymdia in tested me for both. days later results came back both neg. my symptoms cleared up and my dr said it must have been a uti or prostatitis - I took cipro for a week and symptoms have not returned - I waited 10 days after the z pack to have sex with my wife again after being told I was sti free and have not had any symptoms since. two weeks ago I was researching prostatitis symptoms as I sometimes have a dull pain in testes, lower back pain, frequency to urinate especially at night (more so the past two weeks which I think is stress/anxiety/prostatitis related) and discovered ngu which I had never heard of and am now worried that maybe I was infected and in turn infected my wife and put her at risk. we have had sex about 70 times the past 8.5 months always unprotected. I am very worried after reading that forum and learning about ngu and have the following questions for you please:
1. do you think I was infected 9 months ago with ngu?
2. if so do you think my wife was infected and I could be re infected? she has not had any symptoms nor have I other than the ones noted above the past two weeks (stress/prostatitis?) .
3. are there fertility or health issues for her or me if you think we were infected?
4. Is ngu easily passed from male to female?
5. I can't find any tests for ngu for men or women...do they exist?
6. is it safe to say that after 8.5 months and me presumably not being re in infected after 70 times having sex that she was not infected and is in the clear I do not need to mention this encounter. I love her very much and don’t want to lose my marriage but I also don’t want her health at risk due to my stupidity.
7. my wife has had BV for years, are NGU and BV connected and if so could I have got ngu from her and not the encounter?
8. can monogamous couples get NGU?
Please help – thanks so much
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
cancel the phone call request and please respond by e mail - thx
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 11 months ago.

1. No way to tell without testing.

2. No way to tell without testing. Some people can be carriers.

3. Not likely. The real issue here is HIV as a possibility.

4. Yes.

5. Yes. NGU simply means infection from something other than gonorrhea..it can be chlamydia, ureaplasma and other organisms. A swab test looking for specific organisms is possible.

6. It is most likely that no one is infected, but that is not certain.

You are at minimal HIV risk, but it is still a risk, and you should be tested, ELISA.

7. Most BV is gardnerella, which is not typically an ngu.

8. No.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Dr. I have been hiv tested and chamyldia and gon several times the past 9 months. All are negative. Do you reccomend I do any further testing keeping in mind I was already treated with z pack and cipro and both me and my wife are sympton free? Also - what do you make of my prostatis symptoms?

I think that is something to discuss with your doctor, but there is no clinical basis for you to get tested other than the prostatitis symptoms. A urine culture should be done after a prostatic massage. If prostatic fluid can be cultured that would be ideal as well. A urologist should be consulted.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks - so you agree that my recent symptoms are more prostate related opposed to sti or uti?

No way to say without exam.

Examination of the prostate is critical in making that determination.