Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I had a lithotripsy procedure done yesterday with a stent

Customer Question

I had a lithotripsy procedure done yesterday with a stent inserted in my ureter. I had burning yesterday when urinating, but it eased up somewhat today. I am also constipated.
This evening the burning returned and my urine is still bright red, and on top of that, I've
got severe gas pains from not moving my bowels. What do you suggest?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

You can go to the drugstore and buy an over the counter medication called AZO to help stop the pain. As far as the bleeding goes, you need to drink plenty of water trying to flush the blood out. If you develop blood clots in the urine Or cannot urinate, this is a sign of severe bleeding and you will need to go to the emergency room to be evaluated. Staying hydrated will also help the constipation. The MiraLAX to try to clear out your bowels. The symptoms you're having me come in after the surgery you had. They should get better over the next couple days. Hope this helps.