Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a fifty four year old healthy male, my problem is

Customer Question

I am a fifty four year old healthy male, my problem is getting a hard erection to do intercourse. It's sometimes hard and erect and performs well then on many occasions just fails to get up on other occasions it gets erect and suddenly seems to loose interest and gets soft just before or during the act. I get strong morning erections and sometimes when aroused...problem is when I fail to get aroused or get it erect when I desire to be intimate. I consulted a men's clinic about six months ago and was prescribed 10 units of caverjet to use about fifteen minutes before the actual act.My issue is that sometimes without the caverjet I get strong natural erections and can perform well naturally and then at other times I get erectile dysfunction.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

What medications do you take? What medical problems do you have? Are you in a new relationship?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Caverjet, I just listed the problem in my initial request, yes
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello are you still attending to this enquiry?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think it's only fair to open this question to other experts now
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

Sorry for the delay as I was in the operating room. If you are able to get any full erections at all, this indicates that your mechanism to get an erection is working. In your case, you have something that is causing your elections to go away. That something is most likely performance anxiety which causes your body to release endorphins which causes erections to go away. This happens commonly to men in new relationships. The only way to truly get around this problem is to see a psychiatrist to help treat your performance anxiety. Taking Caverject is quite a drastic measure for this performance anxiety. Erections that our week due to performance anxiety typically respond to medication such as Viagra or Cialis. But if you already tried this, I would recommend that you consider seeing a urologist for an examination to determine if this is truly performance anxiety or not. They can do a test called a penile color flow Doppler ultrasound to evaluate The blood flow to the penis to see if you truly have an underlying blood flow problem or not. This can help to determine whether or not your problem is related to performance anxiety or not. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your response. I haven't tried Viagra or Cialis...but other herbal supplements. When you say performance anxiety response to Viagra or Cialis do you mean temporarily just on taking it or some times permanantly one have taken it once or so.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 11 months ago.

The Viagra or Cialis would temporarily help to restore your directions until your performance anxiety is under control. This is why you still need to be evaluated for performance anxiety at the same time. Hope this helps and please let me know if you have questions.