Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Is the saturated prostate biopsy, with its risks, any more

Customer Question

Is the saturated prostate biopsy, with its risks, any more reliable than a regular office biopsy?
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should also mention that I am not good with being put to sleep. I am very claustrophobic.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Claustrophobia has no impact on anesthesia. You will be completely unaware of what is going on so you you will not feel claustrophobic. The risk of infection with the saturation biopsy is the same as with a routine biopsy done in the clinic. Your doctor will give you prophylactic antibiotics around the time of the procedure which should be continued for 24 hours to prevent any potential infection. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The main question is the saturation biopsy anymore reliable in determining cancer than the routine office biopsy?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It is more reliable because of the increased number of samples taken. But if your doctor offers MRI guided biopsy, this can be even more accurate.