Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am asking advice. I feel I am at the end of my rope not

Customer Question

Hi, My name is***** am asking for your advice. I feel I am at the end of my rope not sure what else I can do. I have been diagnosed with chronic kidney stone disease. I currently have stones ranging from 4mm-6mm on both sides of my kidneys. I just had a Extracorporeal shockwave Lithotripsy last Monday on my left side. Not sure how many stones actually desolved. I have stained my urine every time I urinate and so far I have counted up to 21 stone (2 were large) that passed. In April 2014 I had a percutaneous nephrolithotomy ( I had a stone almost the size of a golf ball that was removed) during this surgery. My urologist has done two 24 hour urine collections within the past 6 months. I followed his advice and showed improvement on the second collection. However, he told me there was nothing else he can do for me. I am in pain all the time and it's effecting my quality of life. I find myself with no energy, my nerves are shot. I find myself crying and not able to want to get out of bed. Its a struggle everyday. I am constantly sweating and have the cold chills (no fever). I find myself worrying all the time and I get beat red from head to toe when I had to deal with any stressful situation. I have been in pain for so long its taking a toll. Is it possible I may be having a nervous breakdown? Within the past 3 weeks I have had labs done and everything was normal including my thoriod. I guess I don't understand how I still can be in this much pain when I just had surgery. Any advice I would appreciate.
Respectfully Submitted
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

What are your stones made of? Were you deficient in any chemicals on the 24 hour urine collection? Was any medication prescribed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Uric acid stones. No medication. He said there was no med that could help me. The only thing he told me was to increase fluids (drink water with a lemon) and have a small glass of milk with a meal. I was sitting in his office with sweat beat down my face and shaking like a leaf. He told me husband. I had live with it. Is there med that can help them pass. Like I said it is effecting my life. I am only 47. Would this leave to a breakdown because I think I am there. I have gone to the ER several times. They give me pain meds hydrate me then send me on my way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no other health issues. I need to get back to being me. My family is worried not to mention I have spent thousands of dollars over the past year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Uric stones can be treated with certain medications depending on what your blood work shows. I'm surprised that your doctors told you that there's nothing that can be done for this. This indicates to me that your doctor is not really a specialist in treating kidney stones. My recommendation would be for you to get into a major university medical center where they have a stove specialist who does nothing but treat kidney stones. You likely would be a candidate to be started on a medication to prevent your gas and stones from forming. This will completely depend on blood work as well as a review of your 24 hour urine collection studies. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.