Muneeb Ali
Muneeb Ali, Emergency Medicine
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified. Have dealt with urological emergencies in the ER on a regular basis
22950887

What is the name of the vaccine track infections? which

Customer Question

what is the name of the vaccine for urinary track infections? which countries can i go for this vaccine. canada? Mexico?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.

Currently there are no vaccines available for UTI's, neither in the US or in any country for that matter. However there are certainly vaccines being developed for UTI's which are in various phases of development. This means that they might be ready for patient use in a couple of years time however as of now they are not available at all. They are yet to be approved by any drug regulating authority in the world.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My urologist told me that there is a vaccine and you're up it hasn't been approved in this country but it is been around for about 20 years. I forgot to get the name from him but I'll be seeing him next week and I will find out then I thought you might know

Well i dont believe there is a vaccine specifically for UTI's but there are vaccines for some of the organisms causing UTI's. For example there is a vaccine for pneumococcus which can cause UTI's known as pneumovax. However as of now all vaccines for UTI's are in development. Was he talking about a vaccine for UTI's or HPV? Because if there was a vaccine for UTIs , the incidence of UTIs would have been much much lower all over the world and i have worked in 4 countries, never heard of the vaccine. But you can ask your urologist again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Let's talk about an older product, Uro-Vaxom, which is an oral, Swiss-made preparation that is not available in the U.S. It's made up of five different serotypes of heat-killed uropathogenic E. coli. Research showed that three out of five patients would have no further UTI in the first 6 months following administration, and 35% will have fewer UTIs than those on placebo on average. Does Uro-Vaxom make sense as a treatment to you, and does the science behind it make sense in terms of producing a vaccine?

Uro-Vaxom has certainly been around for some times AND some studies have shown its effiacy in prevenyting UTI's caused by E.Coli ONLY, however the studies which showed its benefits were done in a very small subset of patients. The one done in 2011 was in 127 patients, the one in 2009 was done in 80 or so patients. In order for a medical product to prove its efficacy, double blind randomized clinicla trials have to be done in a large group of patients. This is because when we have a large group, that will be more represntative of the general population and will statistically be more significant in proving its efficacy.

Now that doesn't mean this product is not useful, it certainly is however it is still being studied. As i said earlier, there are various vaccines which are under development and Uro-vaxom or rather a variant of this vaccine is currently under trials. There is a high probablity that the trials will show that this vaccine certainly works. But this vaccine will confer immunity ONLY against the various strains of E.Coli, NOT against any other bacteria which can cause UTI such a klebsiella, pseudomonas or enterococcus.

The science behind it is certainly valid, and it does show promise however in order for it to be accepted into general medical treatment guidelines, it has to first show its efficacy in preventing E.coli infections. The evidence so far, while promising, is not enough to promote its general use. The current clinical trials are also looking into the potential side effects which can occur with various vaccines.