Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

That have to have a -term catheter - especially a Foley

Customer Question

Customer: For patients that have to have a long-term catheter - especially a Foley catheter that is not replaced on an intermittent basis - is there increased risk of infection due to the small amount of urine that stays in the bladder below the drainage tip of the catheter ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Actually I am looking at a new product that attaches to a Foley catheter that allows a normal amount of pressure build up in the bladder before there is a release of the urine into a containment bag. This mimicks the normal filling and voiding action of the bladder, and apparently minimizes the risk of infection from the catheter since the there is no old urine that becomes stagnant and infectious.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Urology Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

No. There is not an increased risk of infection due to the very small amount of urine that can remain behind below the outlet of the catheter. The amount of urine that can remain is so small that it does not pose a risk. There is no such a device in regards ***** ***** you are looking for because one does not exist because there is no need for one. Hope this helps.