Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

I have a foley in 5 days right now. Just this year obvious

Customer Question

I have a foley in 5 days right now. Just this year for no obvious reason I can't urinate. I've been to the hospital 6 times for a foley. My urologist says nothing is wrong? I'm going to have it taken out today. What is my problem?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 11 months ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you today.

Why was the foley indicated? When is it blocked? after how many days of insertion?

One of the major components of catheter is encrustations with mineral salts like struvite (magnesium ammonium phosphate) and calcium phosphate, which precipitate from the urine under alkaline conditions (Cox and Hukins, 1989). Such conditions occur when the catheter surface is colonised by micro-organisms that are capable of producing the enzyme urease.

The study by Stickler et al (2003) provides the first evidence of the potential benefits of filling the catheter balloon with the antimicrobial agent, triclosan, instead of water, in order to prevent or reduce encrustation of the catheter.

Reference: http://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical-subjects/continence/how-to-manage-encrustation-and-blockage-of-foley-catheter/205481.fullarticle

You need to avoid excess dietary calcium from certain protein supplements and antacids; excess dietary magnesium from certain beverages and antacids; alkali from effervescent tablets; excess dietary citrate from some fruit juices and cordials; intermittent dehydration from alcohol ingestion.

Recurrent blockage of catheter is reduced if you follow these methods. Yes, get checked by another doctor and a second opinion is always better.

Hope I helped you today. If done for now, please leave positive rating [Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Chaithanya" in the medicine or health categories.

If you have any medical questions in future, save this link to reach me.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A bonus from your side is always welcome and appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com