Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Patient 86 yr old man, 180 lbs, diabetic, non-hypertensive,

Customer Question

Patient 86 yr old man , 180 lbs, diabetic , non-hypertensive , history of enlarged prostate with psa 500plus now lowered by Casoves 50mg ( 3 x50mg Casovex in the am , 3X50 MG Casovex in the pm.) PSA Now 85 and lower each time psa is taken. Cancer has spread
to bone , alot of pain in the back,unbearable at times. Pain meds are only one 100mg Celebrex per day.Not enough What other pain meds can be prescribed to dull the pain,what frequency and what dosage is recommended to manage the pain ?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

If the pain is the severe, you will most likely need to be prescribed narcotic medication such as oxycodone to temporarily relieve the pain. However, the definitive treatment for bone pain related to the metastases is to have radiation treatment to the cancer in the bones. Your doctor needs to refer you to a radiation oncologist to consider doing this. You should discuss a prescription for the narcotics with your doctor. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you were prescribing oxycodone what would be the dosage and fre
quency of the meds?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

I typically start at 5 mg every 4-6 hours as needed. But everyone differs based on the other medications they take and how they react to the medication.