Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have an appointment with my Urologist on Monday. I

Customer Question

I have an appointment with my Urologist on Monday. I recently had a PSA test and results were 1.9. This has increase from 1.3 from one year ago (12 months). It has been at 1.3 for about 2 years up from 1.1 about 5 years ago. I am a 51 year old male and
also have had a weak urine flow and urine linkage (dribbles after I urinate) for quite a few years now (over 5 years). I have had a history of kidney stones and colitis in my colon. I am prediabetic and my glucose serum level jumps around a lot. I am considered
that my PSA result has increased so much over the past 12 months. I am sure my doctor will do a digital rectum exam and review my PSA results. Should I insist to have a prostate biopsy right away or have my PSA retested? If this is prostate cancer can I wait
to get retested or would it be important to know right away? Does sound like an enlarged prostate or something more serious? What questions should I be asking my urologist? Thank you in advance for your reply
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 11 months ago.

HI

PSA velocity is still a unproved concept which has not taken a firm place in practice of urology when it comes to prostate cancer.

Generally any jump in PSA of more 0.35 in a year is considered significant and prostate biopsy suggested.Of course it has to be co related with other factors like DRE, family history of prostate cancer etc.

If we follow the PSA velocity protocol there was a jump of 0.6 which makes you candidate for prostate biopsy.

Your urologist has to decide after doing a DRE whether a prostate biopsy has to be done or not.

You can also ask for Free psa to total PSA ratio and PSA density , which will give more information about the PSA.

In the end it is a shared decision between you and the doctor - and you have to discuss it out.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you

You are welcome.

Dr.Tharun