Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have a question about uti and my treatment

Customer Question

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

How can I help? Are you sexually active with any new partners?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but I have had uti infections before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm taking sulfameth/trimethoprim 800/160. Took 2 pills on Day one and two and 3 pills on day 3 and 4. Today is day for. I don't have much pain during the day now but I still have some discharge, very minor burning when peeing and when my penis becomes erect at night it is painful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My uti infections before I seem to remember feeling the symptoms subside a little quicker.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Have you had a urine culture to identify the bacteria to see if your antibiotics are the correct ones?

Has a urologist evaluated the reason why you keep getting these infections?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. I and was traveling to family over Thanksgiving when I felt it coming on so I called my Dr and he called in the script for me where I was at. The last one I had was about a year ago but it wasn't very bad and I did about 3-4 days of cranberry pills and it went away. I had another one about 2 1/2 years ago that I had antibiotics prescribed but not sure which kind. I have 12 pills left on this current treatment with a 20 pill refill. Should I run the course before jumping to any other conclusions?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

If you think your symptoms are remaining study and slowly improving and not getting worse, then you should continue your course of antibiotics as prescribed. However, if you are getting worse, you definitely need to get back into see your doctor to have a urine culture done to identify the bacteria to see which antibiotics it is sensitive to. This is the only way to truly figure out how to treat your infection. Hope this helps.