Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I had a right ureterocele into my bladder at the level of

Customer Question

I had a right ureterocele into my bladder at the level of the ureterovesical junction that
contained a1.2 cm calculas that was removed. After surgery I have been had bleeding
several times in a day with blood clots. The Urologist could not schedule me for 11 days
and a cystoscope exam. I am concerned about the 11 day wait period and blood loss.
I would appreciate your comments.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Hi

When was the surgery done ?

Was the ureterocele incised with electro-cautery and then stone removed?

Do you still have clots in urine ?

Do you have problems while passing urine - poor flow and block?

Do you take any blood thinners?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surgery/ 6/17/15, Crushing of stone in urinary duct (ureter) with stent using an endoscope, yes,clots in urine - 1/4 to 3/4 inch
long string type,no problems passing urine- urine starts clear and ends with clots, no thinners. Is electro-cautery same as Laser.
I took the description off of my Insurance report. I understood it was to be with a laser.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

The surgery was done almost 6 months ago - correct me if I am wrong?

Do you smoke?

Has bleeding occurred before this surgery ?

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 months ago, not a smoker, Yes bleeding started prior to surgery, suddenly, with clots, I followed in a couple of
days with a CT exam, Currently I am drinking much water and am passing some blood and small clots 3 to 4 times a day.
Each pass starts with apparent blood-clear urine and ends with the drip type bleeding and clots
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Was the CT scan done with injection of contrast ?

Are you taking any medications for the prostate gland ?

Do you have any pain while passing urine ?

Dr.Tharun

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

At the moment I am unavailable for a phone conversation.

It is very unusual to bleed from the surgery site even after 6 months of surgery. The bleeding has to come from some other source, which needs to be investigated.

The protocol includes urine routine and cytology, Serum PSA And Ct scan of the kidneys and the bladder with contrast. If the previous scan was done without contrast then contrast CT scan has to be done.

If the scan and the urine tests are negative then you have to undergo a cystoscopy and if required a flexible ureteroscopy to see inside the ureter to find a possible cause.

If there is some source in the bladder which is bleeding it can be coagulated at the same time as the cystoscopy.

Very often the prostate can bleed like this - in that case medication like finasteride can be taken to stop it. If it recurs with medications, then resection of the prostate gland is the next option to stop the bleeding.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel my phone call request. The information you sent me was very helpful. I will be contacting my doctor this week
to request the earliest possible appointment. I thank you for your comments and suggestions, that will better prepare me to
ask my doctor the right questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel additional assistance.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

I will try to send this request to the moderator.

Dr.Tharun