Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have just started using testosterone gel. Has done it than

Customer Question

I have just started using testosterone gel. Has done it for less than two months. 2 pumped amounts on each hand (minimal dose). I have run out of the gel three days before my blood test to check on the amount of testosterone before doctors's appointment
to adjust my dose. How much of the drop in the testosterone level I expect if I have not used for three days before bloodwork?
Category: Urology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

When this preparation is applied to the skin once a day in doses of 5 to 10 g (delivering 50 to 100 mg of testosterone), the serum testosterone concentrations usually reach the normal male range within a month and remain steady throughout 24 hours. Therefore the level would drop more than 300.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I had testosterone level of 280 before treatment and after a month of continious use it increased, say to 500, and then I stopped using it for three days -- then the expected level would drop to to 200 if I take my blood measurements at this time? I am probably missing sometging here.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

If you continue to use it, the level will reach the normal male range (around 600 for 50 mg of testosterone, around 800 for 100 mg of testosterone) within a month. There is considerable variation in the half-life of testosterone concentration as reported in the literature, ranging from 10 to 100 minutes. When AndroGel treatment is discontinued, serum testosterone concentrations return to approximately baseline concentrations within 48-72 hours after administration of the last dose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems like doctor started me on very small dose only 2 pumping action per hand. is it just to see how i respond and then potentialy to increase the dose? where is the best absorption rate on your body for testosterone application?. any reason not to use generic testosterone.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

A metered-dose pump that delivers 1.25 g of gel (containing 12.5 mg of testosterone) per pump depression. 2 pumping is 25 mg of testosterone. Are you using AndroGel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I am using generic which is a pump, called testosterone. But I think you are correct that it is 25 mg because when I was trying to fill for 1 month -- they told me at the pharmacy that there is no pump that small thus I defaulted to 90 day prescription (as I had a choice of 30 days or 90 days)
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Your level is 280 before the treatment. It is not very low. That's why your doctor asked you to use the dose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. Can you also reply regarding my other questions on generic vs brand name. Also what is the best place on the body to apply it to get best absorption rate?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Brand and generic products have the same effect. The shoulders and upper arms are better than the abdomen for the absorption.