Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Foley cath Put in 7 days ago. Had bowel resection couldn't

Customer Question

Foley cath Put in 7 days ago. Had bowel resection couldn't void bladder spasms . Cath placed! Appointment with dr for removable in 3 days. But feeling pain in bladder and powerful urge to void, but of course Cath is in so not possible. Minor burning no fever should I go to ER?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

No, you do not need to go to the emergency room for this. The sensations you're having bladder spasms due to the irritation from the catheter in the bladder. You need to call your doctor and they can prescribe a medication called oxybutynin to stop the bladder spasms. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.