Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I was admitted to the hospital with a 7mm kidney stone.

Customer Question

I was admitted to the hospital with a 7mm kidney stone. After 3 days the Dr tried a ureteroscopy but was unsuccessful in removing the stone. However he did place a stent in the ureter passed the position of the stone. It has been 4 days since I left hospital and I have no pain. I am taking a chance pierdra herb, lots of fluid and lemon. Is there a possibility the stone will break up in the bladder? What should I do next? I do not have insurance and the Dr suggested I go back to the ER. If I pay to visit a urologist will they x-ray me to find out if the stone is still there and if not simply remove the stent?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

With the stent in place, the stone will not pass. You will definitely need ureteroscopy to remove the stone. The stent was placed to dilate the ureter so they can pass the scope up the ureter next time. If you don't have insurance, the best option is to go to a major university medical center where you can apply for their charity care program to cover the surgery free of cost to you. This is the only way to treat this. Drinking fluid or any other medicine is not going to help us pass. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean "so they can pass the scope of next time"?
Is Lythiotrypsy a better option? Can that be done in a medical office rather than hospital?
Is there any chance the stone could get broken down naturally if it reaches the bladder?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

They likely couldn't get to the stone because the ureter was too small. So they left a stent to dilate it up so that the instrument can be passed next time. The stone will not break down naturally. It must be broken with a laser. Lithotripsy is an option, but probably not in your case if you don't have insurance. It just depends on the hospital that you do to and what they will allow you to have down without insurance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did get the scope and the stent passed the stone if that makes a difference.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

OK. Well this sounds to be more of a possible technical issue from the skill of your surgeon. If he could not remove the stone successfully, then you need to go to a more experienced surgeon who can do flexible ureteroscopy to remove the stone. Again, your best bet is to go to a major university medical center where they will definitely have a surgeon who can do this. Hope this helps.