Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have been treated with antibiotics past 2 weeks, I am a 60

Customer Question

I have been treated with antibiotics for the past 2 weeks for uti, I am a 60 year old male,I am still having frequent urination and a burning in penis with and without urinating, and also having abdomen pain. My pain in testicle though has subsided. What do you think it is ?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Hi Have you checked your urine again for infection?

Are you diabetic?

Do you take any medications for the prostate gland ?Do you have fever?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its clean, I am a type 2 diabetic, nothing for prostate, and I have had fever off and on. Could it be prostitis?
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

The symptoms suggests prostatitis especially when the urine test has returned negative. Prostatitis can cause pain in the penis especially in the tip and burning sensation all the time in the perineal region . You need to do a expressed prostatic excretion culture to rule out bacterial prostatitis. Non bacterial prostatitis rarely causes fever. You may have to change the antibiotic to fluoroquinolones or doxycycline if it is bacterial prostatitis. Usually antibiotics are given for 4 - 6 weeks for bacterial prostatitis. If if is non bacterial prostatitis then Alfa blockers, painkillers and anti inflammatory drugs forms the mainstay of the treatment.Discuss these options with your doctor and let me know if you have any questions regarding this.

Dr.Tharun