Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a student nurse & working on a project Penn State

Customer Question

I am a student nurse & working on a project for a Penn State Nursing Class. I work in a medical surgical unit & am trying to determine what is an appropriate amount of urinary retention volume before the necessity of straight cath because patient is unable to void within our considered appropriate amount of time. I am unable to find any literature that states a suggested volume or time frame. Any ideas.
Currently our magic number is >400mL to cath, and patient is bladder scanned after each void until scan volume is < 100mL. This can be continued for days.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

You are right. There is no magic number that a patient has to be able to empty to. The goal is to get the bladder as empty as possible to prevent infections from occurring. This typically occurs when the urine volume is less than 100 mL. So the goal I tell my patients is to catheterizd frequent enough to leave no more than 100 mL of urine in the bladder at all times. Hope this helps.