Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Recently got the news that my otherwise fantastic girlfriend

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Recently got the news that my otherwise fantastic girlfriend has HPV of the kind that can cause Cerivical Cancer. I understand the same can cause in men throat, esophageal cancer. I'm 62. What are the odds on this..don't know if I've got it , but
I'm being immunized. Is this something that I should end a relationship over? I'm not inclined to do so by the way...but your opiniion's important. Many Thanks! Evan
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, there is no evidence that immunization at your age will do any good. Evidence only shows the immunization during childhood is protective against HPV. Most sexually active people are infected with HPV. However, not everyone develops any signs of HPV including warts or cancer. You can't live the rest of your life being scared about the development of these types of cancers. Your significant other just needs to have an annual Pap smear. There's no way to determine what your odds are of developing cancer. There is no screening test for any of these cancers either. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any reason why the vaccine will only protect those in teens and childhood?
Thank you!
Evan
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

I believe the reason is that because most adults who have been sexually active have already been exposed to the virus and once you have been exposed, the vaccine is no longer effective.