Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have had consistent microscopic hematuria past month. Low

Customer Question

I have had consistent microscopic hematuria for the past month. Low pelvic pain (not unbearable). No infection in uralysis. Ultrasound showed kidney, urethra & bladder all normal in size and no growth/stones. CT scan showed no stones or growth except a cyst on my right ovary.
I am booked in to see a urologist this week for further investigation including cystoscopy soon.
My blood test showed normal kidney function, normal iron levels and normal full blood count.
I am worried about bladder cancer. Is it true that my white blood cell count would be elevated if cancer was present in my body? I am 32 years old and no bladder cancer in my family tree.
Thank you for your prompt response! Much appreciated.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

No, your white blood cell count would not be elevated if you had cancer in your bladder or in your body. The white blood cell count is a reflection of inflammation which is typically a sign of infection. The only type of cancer where the white blood cell count can be elevated is leukemia. With microscopic blood in your urine, the chances of cancer being present is less than 1%. It's even lower and someone your age. I've actually never seen bladder cancer and someone your age. Often times, we can't find the cause of the microscopic blood. I would not be concerned about cancer at your age. Hope this helps.