Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I have had Brachy therapy cancer about 18 months ago. I have

Customer Question

I have had Brachy therapy for prostate cancer about 18 months ago. I have had some blood in my semen and also in my urine. My Dr. is going to do a cystoscopy in a couple of weeks. Of course it is very concerning. Are there other prostate related causes that might lead to blood in the urine and semen. I'm 70 years old.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

HI

How is your PSA level ?

How is your urine flow ?

Do you have pain/ burning while passing urine?

Do you take any blood thinner ?

History of urinary stones?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PSA was going down nicely then had PSA bump and now is moving back down to about 4.0 urologist seems comfortable with that. Urine flow is good, very slight burning but intermittent and very slight. I take xrelto as a blood thinner. No history of stones.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked your urine for infection?

Fever ?

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blood only comes out right at the beginning of the urine flow then it's clear. Also have blood in semen. Doesn't sound good does it!
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Seems like some bleeding from the urethra or the prostate. There is usually some amount radiation cystitis or urethritis or prostatitis which can cause blood in semen as well as urine. Xarelto will only add to the issue.

We have to follow the standard protocol for blood in urine situation - which includes a routine urine test, urine cytology, ct abdomen and cystoscopy. We have to proceed according to the findings.

If everything is negative then follow up of prostate cancer is all what is needed as planned before.

A course of antibiotics and anti -inflammatory will help in the mean time.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** with the tests...dr Google had me convinced it is bladder cancer. It could be, of course, but it could also be something else I suppose. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

The dreaded Dr. Google ,we all fear.

Take care.
Dr.Tharun