Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have had an umbilical hernia years, and a hydroceil in my

Customer Question

I have had an umbilical hernia for many years, and a hydroceil in my scrotum since 2009, and need a 3rd ear surgery. Surgeries had to be postponed. They were going to do all 3 surgeries at once, but now I may need surgery on my knee. I need to lose some weight so they can use the camera surgery on my hernia, and drain my scrotum. Are these 2 problems related? Could I have the scrotum drained without fixing the hernia, and do the hernia later ? The hydroceil is affecting my physical therapy for my knee. Thanks
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

The hernia and hydrocele are completely unrelated. You can have the hydrocele fixed without fixing the hernia, and then have the hernia fixed later. If the hydrocele is affecting your physical therapy, you can either have this simply drained in the office, or you can have surgery to remove the fluid sac. You should discuss this with a urologist. Hope this helps.