Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I'm 37 yr old female and I have excruciating pain when

Customer Question

I'm 37 yr old female and I have excruciating pain when urinating. It started on Wednesday and on Thursday it got a little worse and I went to the dr. He said the urine came back with blood and pus but no bacteria. He gave me metronidazole for 7 days to see it that helped. It's just getting worse everyday and yesterday I would get a fever off and on and urine started leaking out. The pain when urinating is horrible. Sometimes it comes out faster than other times. I went to the ER last night and they said possibly my urethra is inflamed and gave me a script for torodol. It doesn't help. Why is it getting worse each day? Shouldn't I have an antibiotic for the urinary tract? I'm just getting worse and worse. I don't have back pain and only this morning I started having some stomach pain off and on. It's not bad pain though. I can't take this much more. I don't know if I should go to another ER
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It sounds like you have a UTI that would require antibiotics. If your doctor won't do a urine culture, you need to go to another ER where they will treat you properly Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. My dr a urine test and he said it only showed blood and pus no bacteria so he gave me metronidazole but I'm just getting worse.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

You're getting worse because the metronidazole does not treat most UTI bacteria. You need an official urine culture, not just a urinalysis that you had done. You need a course of antibiotics as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the urine culture just shows blood and no bacteria does that still constitute antibiotics for a uti?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

It depends on the official results of the urine culture. But while your doctor is awaiting those results, you should be placed on antibiotics.