Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Dear Dr, it is last four months I have blood in urine from

Customer Question

Dear Dr,
it is last four months I have blood in urine from time to time but now in last 4 days i have continuously. I want to discuss my symptoms and tests with you and get your opinion.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Sure. I'd be happy to help. Do you have pain with this bleeding? Do you smoke?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i do not smoke. the symptoms story is as follows.

burning and frequent urination and back-pain

but it is last 2 weeks these symptoms decreased but bleeding increased.

tests done and results:

ct scan (3 months ago): small stone in the left kidney and radiologist were suspicious about baldder wall thicknening and hence suggested cystoscopy.

cystoscopy (3 months ago): normal

ulrasoud and transrectal ultrasound of prosate (3 months ago): normal

ultrasound of urinary system (2 months ago): everything normal except 5 mm stone in upper pole of left kidney.

in all urine tests: no infection.

psa history over last 4 months: 1.7 (4 months ago), 1.87 (3.5 months ago), 2.6 (2 months ago), 1.51 (1 month ago after using bactirim).

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have already had the appropriate work up for blood in the urine. This means that a serious causes such as cancer are not the cause of the bleeding. When we cannot see any obvious cause of bleeding from the bladder or the prostate and you have a stone, the only way to explain the blood is the stone itself. I would recommend that your doctor consider removing the stone to see if the bleeding stops. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i cannot see your answers. I want to share with you my ct scan results

to learn

a-) how many stones do i have?

b-) whether these stones could cause bleeding.

how can i share my ct scan results with you?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

You can scan the report in and upload it using the paper clip icon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr,

I was not able to attach in the way you suggested (it did not work).

Could you please download from the following link:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=17441817011556628858

and tell me

a-) how many stones do i have in the left kidney?

b-) can these cause bleeding?

c-) what is the size of stone(s) approximately?

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry. I cannot download that attachment. You need to please scan your file in and upload it using the paper clip icon the desktop application

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear, Dr,

I cannot scan many ct scan pictures.

I do not know why you cannot download.

If I am able to download, you should also.

This is the most important part of my query.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

I cannot open that file. Please upload it as a pdf file

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr,
I am attaching the picture now.
I have the following questions:

1-) what is approximately the size of this stone?
2-) can this stone cause blood in urine?
3-) my ultasound of urinary system was normal (except stone in the left kidney). is ultrason sensitive to see bladder tumors?

note: urine culture negative for infection and bacteria and blood in urine.

I will be happy for answers to my questions.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

The stone looks to be about five or 6 mm. A stone the size can definitely cause blood in the urine. and ultrasound is not sensitive to see bladder tumors. A CT scan and cystoscopy are the best ways to see bladder tumors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr,

I have been to 8 urologists so far without a solution.

I had 2 ESWL also. But still the stone is in the kidney and still blood in urine.

1-) I did a CT scan 3.5 months ago (the picture I shared is from that CT scan). The radiologist was saying in his report that there is stone in the left kidney and he was suspicious about bladder wall thickening and was saying this thickening can be due to an organic reason or an incompletely filled bladder. Since I had frequent urination, I went to toilet many times before CT scan and my bladder was almost empty.

Q1-) Can an empty bladder cause bladder wall thickening?

The radiologist was suggesting cystoscopy to be done.

I did cystoscopy on July 27 and the results were normal.

Urine cytology was negative also at that time.

Q2-) The cystoscopy took 2-3 minutes. is it possible that the doctor missed some tumors?

Moreover, I had an ultrasound yesterday and the stone size was measured as 10 mm. But you said 5mm-6 mm.

In fact, in my ultrasound test 2 months ago, it was saying also 5 mm.

But the ultrasound yesterday said 10 mm.

I also show the picture I shared with you to an urologits 3 days ago and he said that also the stone size is close to 10 mm.

I am really confused.

Q3) My urologist 2 months ago asked an ultrasound of urinary system.

If ultrasound is not sensitive for bladder tumors, why was it asked?

I have been to 8 urologists with different diagnoses (like chronic prostatitis and kidney stone and pelvic pain dysfunction, etc).

My symptoms and blood in urine continues and no improvement.

I am totally frustrated by urologists.

Q4-) I am 36 years old male. Based on my age, my symptoms

of blood in urine from time to time over 5 months and the tests I did.

what is your diagnosis? Can it be bladder or prostate cancer?

Please answer my all questions. I am very depressed.

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

1. An empty bladder will not cause wall thickening. Wall thickening can be cause by some chronic blockage to the outflow of the urine such as a structure in the urethra. 2. The cystoscopy only takes 2-3 minutes and they should not have mised anything. 3. One image on the CT scan is not enough to truly measure your stone. Your stone can be anywhere from 5-10 mm. You don't have cancer. Your blood in likely from your stone. You need to go to a university hospital to see a urologist to remove it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Dr,

I had SWL and I have passed the stone (see the stones in the picture).

They are around 5 mm.

However, I today had again a dark orange kind of urine (see please the picture). Does this include blood? If yes, since I do not have stone anymore, the only left possibility is bladder/prostate cancer.

It is almost 6 months that I have burning, frequent urination and severe back-pain at tailbone region (not in the kidney area). I lost my trust to urologists since I have been to 10!

Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you may be having blood in the urine and it can be from remaining stones in the kidney. You should see your doctor for a urine test to look for blood. Please don't forget to leave me a rating. Thanks.