Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I've had a slight throbbing on my shaft (left side, under

Customer Question

I've had a slight throbbing on my shaft (left side, under the head) for the last couple of months. When urinating, I frequently (if not always) feel a dull pain specific to that left side as well, as though something is a little raw. I cannot say it has really gotten worse, but it doesn't seem to have gotten better either.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Does it hurt to urinate? Do you have urinary frequency?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
slight pain when urinating. Specifically on that left/under side. Frequency seems about every few hours or so, although haven't really monitored. Urine itself seems normal, maybe a little cloudy sometimes, but I figure I'm just dehydrated at times.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like you may have an infection of the prostate called prostatitis. This can cause pain to extend to the area you describe. You need to get in to see your doctor or a urologist for a prostate exam and a urine culture and you may need to be started on an antibiotic like ciprofloxacin for 30 days to treat this infection. You can take ibuprofen 800 mg every 8 hours for 7-10 days to decrease the inflammation of the prostate that is causing the pain. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.