Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I recently got out of a relationship of 2 years during which

Customer Question

I recently got out of a relationship of 2 years during which I never had a hard time getting an erection or keeping one during sex. Its been about a month since we broke up. In the last week I have been dating and had sex with 2 different women, but I was really having a hard time getting and keeping my erection. Im not sure what to do... I don't know if its an emotional thing or what.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Have you noticed any erections when waking up in the morning?

Have you tried to masturbate to see if there was any difficulty in achieving erections while masturbating?

Are you having any other symptoms, such as pain in the penis or scrotum?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

It is certainly very possible that a primary factor in this case. In any man with erectile dysfunction, there can be either physical or psychologic/emotional conditions that can affect erectile function. Most of the physical conditions that cause erectile dysfunction are not common in a 27 year old, and that alone makes psychologic/emotional issues more likely. If you are having normal erections when awakening or with masturbation, that also would suggest that a psychologic/emotional cause is present.

However. the physical conditions that can cause erectile dysfunction and can commonly occur in a 27 year old would be certain types of infections. But if an infection were present, there would usually be other associated symptoms present, which is why I ask the question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr Love,To answer your questions, yes, I have had erections in the morning. I have also been able to masturbate as well. No pain or other symptoms. I suspect this is psychological or something.I also masturbated the morning of both times when I was with these women. When I talked to a friend of mine he suggested I don't masturbate at all for a while if I am out looking to meet new women.I was in a 2 year relationship and never had any problems at all. We broke up back in August, but then got back together and broke up again in late Sept. She moved out of my house in mid Oct and has been gone for almost 2 weeks.Another thing to point out, my ex and I did not use condoms because she was on birth control. Both times this week when I was with new women I was using a condom. And on top of that, the first woman I was not really interested in. It was purely just casual sex. The second woman I was interested in her personality, but physically she was not my type and I was not 100% attracted to her.So here is the 3 things I could be up against right now:1. Condoms are throwing me off (I didn't have this problem in the past)
2. I was not fully attracted to the women (I didn't have this issue in the past too)
3. Even though I want to move on, maybe I still have subconscious feelings for me ex?I never had an issue in the past with having sex just for the act of having sex, but I also have not had casual sex in almost 3 years at this point. So maybe I have aged and now I need an emotional attraction or something like that before I can be aroused? Although, I have to say, that would be pretty crappy because I am single now and I really want to get out there and experience as many people as possible.

Yes, this would be a pattern of psychologic/emotional cause of erectile dysfunction. This may simply pass with time, but if it persists, it also would be an option to see your doctor for consideration of the use of a pill for erectile dysfunction, such as Viagra.