Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

If Ive had a vasectomy what are my options if I want to

Customer Question

If Ive had a vasectomy what are my options if I want to father another child?
Category: Urology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You can have a surgery called vasectomy reversal. Vasectomy reversal usually takes from 2 to 4 hours, followed by a few more hours for recovery from the anesthetic. You can expect to go home the same day. Chances of a successful vasectomy reversal decline over time. Reversals are more successful during the first 10 years after vasectomy.1

In general, vasectomy reversal:

• Leads to overall pregnancy rates of greater than 50%.
  • Has the greatest chance of success within 3 years of the vasectomy.
  • Leads to pregnancy only about 30% of the time if the reversal is done 10 years after vasectomy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any other options
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any other options besides the reversal?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Another way is PESA and TESA Sperm Aspiration and ICSI. PESA - Percutaneous Epididymal Sperm Aspiration (can be done in the office); TESA - Testicular Sperm Aspiration (can be done in the office). Unfortunately, there is not enough sperm obtained to get any reasonable success rate from intrauterine insemination IUI of the female partner.

• The sperm should be of sufficient quantity and quality to be able to fertilize the female partner's eggs in the laboratory using a procedure that injects each egg with a single sperm. This process is called intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
  • After fertilization has been accomplished, in vitro fertilization (IVF) culture techniques are used to culture the resulting fertilized eggs for 3 to 5 days before embryo transfer is performed to the female's uterus.
  • Because multiple eggs are needed to have a good chance for success, the woman must go through ovarian stimulation and then an egg retrieval procedure.