Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Tharun, I just recently had a CBC done after my last six

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Tharun,
I just recently had a CBC done after my last six month blood work in March. At that time, all was good. I has a PSA of 2.3. My most recent PSA (10/7) is showing that it has elevated to 9.3. I will confide in you that I am on testosterone cypionate. I have been since June 2013. This was necessary since at that time my testosterone level was at 176. Ince that time, each of my six month 'serum' results have mostly been at '0'. I did once have a 1300 reading, but that was a year ago. I take two self injections per week, each at 100ml or 200 per week.
Here are my 'abnormal' read,
Hgb: 18.4
MCV: 101.5
MCH: 32.1
MCHC: 31.7
RDW: 14.3
Clearly I am concerned. My primary care physician is concerned.
My question to you is this: What are your thoughts, and should I attempt to see the oncologist sooner than the 11/4 date set.
Is it possible that my reading is as a result of an infection of the prostate. Three years ago, it was determined by my previous primary c
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a family history of prostate cancer? Do you have any urinary symptoms like burning or urgency or pain behind the scrotum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My grandfather (mother's father) had cancer of the prostate. My father has an enlarged prostate. He is 83. Yes, I have the pressure in my perineum area. I can only sit to urinate. If I prolong my wait to 'go', the pressure is painful. I do not go have that sense of urgency to urinate during the day or night. I have discomfort in my right hip and both of my legs are also giving me comfort. The comfort is more of an anxious feeling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Discomfort in my legs..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dribble after urinating and have been unable to stop it ince back in my pants. Embarrassing
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like you may have prostatitis as the cause of the elevated PSA. You need to stop the testosterone immediately and get in to see a urologist for a prostate exam and a repeat Urine culture and you may need to be placed on a course of antibiotics for 3-4 weeks. You should them have the PSA repeated a few weeks later. If the PSA is still elevated, then you need to have your prostate biopsied to rule out prostate cancer. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I stop taking synthesized testosterone if my level is often zero? My body dies not manufacture it? I will get so sluggish, I won't be able to function. My primary care physician told me to prepare for the worse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told by my previous doctor to not stop taking the T since it will screw up my system.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, you will have to put up with feeling horrible until you get the PSA straightened out. The worse thing you want to do is potentially continue to feed an undiagnosed prostate cancer more testosterone to make it grow faster. You need this evaluation by a urologist.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree, but I have been told that November 4th is the earliest that I can go in. Should I be concerned and attempt to go elsewhere? I did have blood in my urine on Friday 10/16.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Nov 4th is fine as long as you stop your testosterone now