Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Last 9 months I have had pain in my bladder and urethra. It

Customer Question

For the last 9 months I have had pain in my bladder and urethra. It is usually mild but every few months it is moderate, constant pain. It feels like a pinching and pulling or soreness that can be either at the base of the urethra or in the bladder or both. I can almost feel the urine filling her bladder sometimes. I urinate frequently (7-10 per day). Sex increases the pain afterwords. I have had a CAT scan, a cystoscopy and an ultrasound all coming up negative for everything the doctors were looking for or could see. They have prescribed only advil, which does not work. Could this be interstitial cystitis (IC)? What should be my next step? I am now beginning to have other issues of psychological torture from this ordeal. Please help.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Did they do a biopsy of your bladder at the time of cystoscopy to evaluate for interstitial cystitis? If they ever put you on any medication such as oxybutynin for bladder spasms? Did this help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Urologist who did the cystoscopy said that he didn't do a biposy but that he didn't see any tumors. I have never been on any meds other than Advil and antibiotics for potential UTI that turned out to be negative and then I was told to stop taking the antibiotics as well as antibiotics after the cytospy to make sure there was no infection from the procedure.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

The most likely cause for your symptoms are bladder spasms due to an overactive bladder. The first line of therapy would be to put you want to medication such as oxybutynin to stop bladder spasms. If this does not work after several months, then the doctor should consider trying to treat you for interstitial cystitis. Interstitial cystitis is not very common. Overactive bladder is very common and is the most likely cause of your symptoms. I would highly recommend that you get into see a urologist to discuss this. Hope this helps.