Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I recently went to a GP to find out what was causing a dull

Customer Question

Hello, I recently went to a GP to find out what was causing a dull ache in my left testicle. It presents itself more when I am sitting. I know I have a mild varicocle on my left testicle which I first noticed 2 years ago. I had an ultrasound for it and nothing malicious like cancer was found. This was two years ago too. In the last 2 weeks the dull ache has continued on and off.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any burning when you urinate? Is the testicle swollen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The testicle is not swollen and there is no burning when I urinate. However I do urinate more than I use too.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

This type of pain in the testicle is very common in men. It is typically due to nerve irritation. Sometimes, a varicocele can cause this pain as well. I would recommend that you see a urologist for an examination and they should check your yard to make sure that you don't have an infection as the cause of the pain either. If they think this is nerve irritation, they can put you on an anti inflammatory such as meloxicam and a medication such as gabapentin to stop the nerve pain. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is nerve irritation, how long can I expect the pain to last? Does it usually last for life?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

No. The pain can happen intermittently but typically goes away after a few years. Rarely does it last longer than that.