Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

I need some help badly. A little over 2 weeks ago I awoke to

Customer Question

Hi! I need some help badly. A little over 2 weeks ago I awoke to a fairly sharp pain in the upper left side of my back. It seemed to radiate down to my pelvis and then went away. Later that day I began having the signs of a UTI, burning during urination, having to urinate more frequently, and pelvic pain and pressure. I began to drink more water and cranberry juice and within a few days it eased up. Then this past Monday my symptoms started back so I made an appointment with my doctor for the next day. When I went in she ran a test on my urine and said I did have bacteria and also blood in my urine (please note, I had taken the OTC drug AZO the evening before and it was still staining my urine, I am wondering if its possible that this is why she said there was blood?). She started me on Bactrim, 2 a day, and sent my urine off to be cultured. By yesterday I wasn't feeling any better, was having some lower back pain and very slight elevated temperature so I called her back to see if I needed to be put on something different. Turns out they had gotten the test back and my urine didn't show enough colonization to have the sensitivity test done. They had no other answers for me and basically said if I continued to feel this way and if it got worse to go to the ER. Well I don't have health insurance so I am really trying to avoid that unless absolutely necessary. I don't understand how the office test could have been positive, the classic symptoms are there, but the test they sent off came back negative. I have been very worried about this for days, so I tried my best today to just quit thinking about it in case some of it was in my head. For awhile things did seem a bit better today, I was able to go to the bathroom without the burning sensation, etc but then this evening it all started back. I have to urinate more often, it burns when I do and my back pain, while in my lower back only now, just aches. My temperature is once again slightly elevated, only 99-99.5, but I have been talking Tylenol this evening. At this point I feel defeated. I have been trying everything, drinking plenty of liquids, still taking the antibiotics, and even got some other items from the health food store but nothing serms to be helping. My biggest fear is this turning into a Kidney infection and ending up in the hospital. Any ideas, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.
I did want to mention that on Monday my dog hurt her foot so I carried her around most of the day and since have been picking her up every evening since then to put her on my bed. She weighs about 25 lbs. I wanted to mention it in case my back pain could be from strained muscles from doing that, although that had been days ago now.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Have you done a scan of the abdomen ?

Do you have history of urinary stones ?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had an abdominal scan done and have no history of urinary stones.Thanks.Melissa
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

HI

These symptoms could be due to an urinary infection or urinary stones. The most common cause of bacteria in urine and blood in urine is urinary infection. Next common cause is urinary stones. AZO can stain the urine but will not be detected as blood in tests.Tests specifically look for RBCs in urine or enzymes which cannot be mimicked by AZO.

You should get an ultrasound of the kidneys and bladder done. Better alternative would be CT scan of the abdomen which would be more specific and informative. It can detect signs of infection of the kidney too.

Keep drinking plenty of water to keep the infection under control.You may need to step up the antibiotic if it is indeed an infection.

Dr.Tharun