Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I need help with my penis

Customer Question

I need help with my penis
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

What help do you need?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't pull the skin back back and I can't touch the inside it hurts really bad and it's red

If there is redness and swelling of the foreskin that is so bad that you cannot pull the foreskin back, the most likely cause would be an infection of the foreskin. Some of these infections may be of the foreskin only, while some of the infections also can affect the skin of the head of the penis.

When it is this severe, it is not something that you should treat at home. If there is no significant pain, it is not an emergency, but you should see your doctor relatively quickly. If the foreskin gets trapped behind the head of the penis, that is an emergency, because if this persists for very long, it can interfere with blood flow, so if this happens, you should be seen emergently.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean ever before I couldn't pull my skin back. Why is that?

Has it always hurt really bad and been red?

The mere fact that the foreskin has never been ale to be pulled back is not an issue. While most males would be able to pull the foreskin back at age 14, there are still about 15% of males in whom it cannot yet be pulled back. When born, there are adhesions between the head of the penis and the foreskin that limit the ability for the foreskin to be pulled back. As males age, there is a steady increase in the percentage that are able to pull the foreskin back. So, it is not abnormal that a 14 year old has never been able to pull the foreskin back.

Once the foreskin is able to be pulled back, a new situation in which the foreskin cannot be pulled back would warrant the evaluation noted above.

While some 14 year olds will normally not be able to pull the foreskin back, there typically would not be pain or redness. If someone tries to force the foreskin when it is not yet ready to be pulled back, there would typically be some discomfort, but there should otherwise not be any pain or redness, and this is why I ask whether it is a recent development that it hurts really bad and been red.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been red and hurting for a while

If it has been red and hurting for a while, then there would be concern about a possible infection and you should see your doctor.