Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

My doctor sent me to the ER Monday morning because I was

Customer Question

My doctor sent me to the ER Monday morning because I was exhibiting symptoms consistent with appendicitis. After a CT scan it showed that I had an infection in my ureter and was put on Cipro 500mg every 12 hours. I have had 7 doses. The urinalysis confirmed
the infection, and although I no longer have a fever and my pain is not as intense as it was, I still do not feel very good. I still have a burning pain in the area that I think is where my bladder is. I do not have burning when I urinate. My urine is no longer
cloudy, but I have an overall sense of malaise. I am flying from SC to Las Vegas for the weekend, and am concerned that I am not 100% better by now. How long can I expect to feel badly or at what point should I return to the doctor.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

While a urinalysis can point to signs of an infection in the urine, this is not the definitive test that needs to be done to identify the bacteria. You need a urine culture done to identify the bacteria to see if you're into biotics are correct for the infection. Because you still continue to have malaise, I would recommend that you go back to your doctor to have a formal urine culture done before your trip to determine if your antibiotics are correct. It's very possible that your bacteria may be resistant to your antibiotics and this is why you feel the way you do. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I misspoke, they did do a urine culture and confirmed the antibiotic is the correct one to treat this particular bacteria
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

In this case, it is possible that you may have developed bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotics. Because you still feel symptoms of malaise, I would recommend that you see your doctor for a repeat urine culture to see if you need to be switched to a different antibiotic. Hope this helps.