Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am having a UTI and my doctor has prescribed me with

Customer Question

I am having a UTI and my doctor has prescribed me with ciprofloxacin. I researched on this antibiotic and it seems like there are many severe side effects including permenant nerves damage and even death. Can you please tell me if there is any other antibiotics
with less side effects for my UTI? Or anything else I can do beside taking antibiotic?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Did your doctor do a urine culture to identify the bacteria? How long of a course of Vopro did they prescribe?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a urine culture and the report said I have UTI. The course my doctor prescribed is for 7 days.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Was the bacteria sensitive to Cipro or any other antibiotic on the report?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure since I haven't started my course of antibiotics yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called the pharmacist, they said I can also take Bactria or macrobid for treating UTI. These antibiotics seem to have less severe side effects. From your knowledge, will these be better options compare to Cipro if the side effects are my concerns?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Bactrim would be a good alternative option if your urine culture shows that the bacteria are sensitive to Bactrim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I find out if the bacteria is sensitive to certain antibiotics?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

This is based on the results found in the urine culture report. It is the sensitivity profile.