Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

A -fp checked before 10 months in a man 20 years and was 42.

Customer Question

A -fp checked before 10 months in a man 20 years and was 42. After 10 months elevated to 80. Both times CT scan of pelvis,liver, testicles and check X-ray were free of findings. Healthy ,no symptoms..Any idea for Tha a feto protein elevation, just to inform
you that drinks regularly and moderate the last 2 years. Is this a reason to increase the a feto protein levels?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No medications and not a medical problem.

Thank you for that additional information.

It is hard to say for certain given the data you have provided.

I would suggest that the patient go to a large university hospital and be evaluated by a Professor of Medicine for a second opinion.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually the levels of a feto protein in the two tests carried the one last October was 42,7 in a lab with level >10 and the last one carried two days ago with level 82 was with laboratory'so level > 15. So actually the level do not increase significantly and I can say that almost remains on the same almost level.Taking into consideration that a liver u/s is clean,MRI also fine, testicles U/s also clean and chest X-ray clean may you can consider any other reason that a fet protein is out of the normal range. Transaminases are normal ,also LDH and γ-GT and free of symptoms. May when transamaminases fall in normal range and a feto protein increase we have liver cells regeneration? I would appreciate to receive your medical opinion.

I will opt out so that a physician better versed in this complex issue can assist you.

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically increased serum concentrations of AFP might also be found in chronic hepatitis and liver cirrhosis and these conditions may not sometimes be detectable by imaging studies. Hence at this stage the next investigation which may be done to know the cause for the elevation would be a fine needle aspiration cytology of the liver or a liver biopsy.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All tests carried were reviewed from Professor Ntourakis Hepalogist at the University of Athens and Director of the A Pathological and Hepatologic CLinic of " Heppocrates Hospital " in Athens Greece.
His opinion is that with no findings and on such levels of A fetoprotein there is not a point to check anymore the a fetoprotein levels neither to carry further tests. THe a fetoprotein was elevated last year after a virus and since then patient has not any clinical signs or any findings from the investigation with U/S for the pelvis, chest, pangreas, liver, stomach and testicles. I would like very much to have also your medical opinion for this option.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

If that is the case and if this was due to post viral hepatitis, then I would agree with your doctor and just monitoring would be fine.

Take care.