Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I was dignosed with epididymidis about 2 weeks ago. I was

Customer Question

I was dignosed with epididymidis about 2 weeks ago. I was started on Ciprofloxacin but could not handle due to side effects after 4 days. Switched to Bactrim and have ben on 2 times a day for 8 days. No signs of it curing yet, but Nurse at my urologist office said it can take 3 full weeks on bactrim to work. Is she correct... I would like second opoinion as I do not want to take antibiotics any longer than needed.
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my biggest question is can it truly take 2-3 weeks on this antibiotic (Bactrim) to start to see a turnaraound. Nurse said it could but I want second opinion from urologist.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually changed mind on phone. text will work just fine.
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Epididymitis was a difficult infection to clear and can take up to three weeks of antibiotics to treat. Your healthcare provider is correct. You need to continue the antibiotics as prescribed. Additionally, you can take ibuprofen to help decrease the inflammation that is leading to some of your discomfort. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Can you tell me if there is a way they can determine the specific bacteria that is causing the infection so they can use the most appropriate antibiotic?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. This should have been determined by a urine culture taken before antibiotics were started. A irine culture taken now that you have been on antibiotics is likely to be negative. You just need to complete the course you are on and see if things improve.