Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have been taking Saw Palmetto supplements along with

Customer Question

I have been taking Saw Palmetto supplements along with Finasteride because after my fifth biopsy (yes that is correct, my urologist can't wait to cut my Prostate but I don't want to) it was discovered "pre-cancerous" cells. Emotionally I think both drugs
have helped me urinate much better and I have a strong flow, but is there a proven medical research done on these 2 drugs as helping the prostrate remain at the normal size?
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my second part to the question is what is the current recommendation between surgery to take the prostate out and the watching and monitoring approach... key point here is what makes some prostate cancer aggressive and kill a man under 60 or what makes it slow and have the man die of other causes but not from prostate cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

There's no evidence that the saw palmetto helps to decrease the prostate size. However, The finasteride has been shown in multiple studies to decrease the size of the prostate between 25-30% after 12 months. If you have a prostate that is larger than 30 g, then you would benefit from continuing this medication. Hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry I later added a second part to my question about the wait vs surgery decision... please read the update
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

In your case, since cancer was never officially diagnosed, there is no indication to remove the prostate. Precancerous cells do not necessitate prostate removal. You just need to have your PSA monitored periodically to see whether or not it increases. If it does, then you may need to have a repeat biopsy done to see if you have developed any cancer.