Dr. David, MD
Experience:  Experienced physican in Urology
41363181

I am an disabled veteran that gets treatment from the Va..

Customer Question

I am an disabled veteran that gets treatment from the Va. . The doctor told me the other day that she will not renew my Andogel prescription . I take 4 pumps a day and have been on this dose of 3-4 years. Iam 66 and my T levels have been constant 320-340 during that time. She wants me to be off Testosterone replacement for a period of time so she can see how low my Testoserone level is without the medication. Why when everything is normal for a long time , she would want to do this? Is this Normal? Is this dangerous to my health?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

this is most likely a cost cutting measure at the VA

the VA most likely doesn't want to continue to pay for expensive medications like androgel.

stopping your testosterone therapy is not dangerous to your health, but can drop your testosterone level for a while.

if your testosterone levels test low off of androgel, there are other options

there are less expensive testosterone injections the VA could arrange for you to help boost up your testosterone levels.

or you can go outside of the VA hospital to see a urologist or a low T clinic to get your testosterone therapy

let me know if you have questions.