Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I had a problem eith my bladder a couple yesrs ago -burning

Customer Question

i had a problem eith my bladder a couple yesrs ago -burning etc felt lile a UTI. Dr test showed no infection. Had cytoscope and they found NOTHING - bur on and off i have pain, burning bloating and frequent urination. The pills that you take to eliminate pain for a yti help - but now im noticing black specs sometimes and/or white or tan colored flecks. what is going on. is this IC?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

It is possible this may be interstitial cystitis. But it could also just be severe overactive bladder. If they have not put you on medication such as oxybutynin to stop bladder spasms, this is where I would recommend they start. If that doesn't work, then they may need to consider putting you on medication such as Elmiron to see if this helps treat your symptoms. This medication is designed to treat patients with interstitial cystitis. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thsnk you. Are the black tiny specs and what look to be pieces of skin normal? or now is there maybe something going on with kidneys or of course concerned about csncer ...
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Those specs do not sound normal. It does not sound like it is cancer if your cystoscopy was normal. Those specs may be sloughing of the lining of the bladder which could be a sign of interstitial cystitis. You need to discuss this with your urologist.