Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

What could be causing my urine to smell like an outhouse?

Customer Question

Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Hi welcome to JA.

Since when are you facing this problem?

Do you have any pain or burning while passing urine?

Blood in urine ? Excessive frothing/bubbles in urine ?

How is the urine flow?

Are you diabetic? Have you tested your urine?

Please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a LAVH on July 03 of this year. Immediately after surgery, I have had a hard time urinating. It feels like my urethra is getting punched every time I start to the urine flow and then again as I finish. I have had blood in my urine ever since. I don't know, however, if it is from the vagina or the bladder. Sometimes I think it's both. The discomfort is increasing. I have talked to the ob/gyn who performed the surgery and he did a UA about 8 weeks ago and said he didn't find anything. However he did make me an appointment with a urologist and I am waiting to get in. Although, this discomfort and smell is such that I almost feel I need to go to an urgent care or something while I wait.I am not a diabetic. I don't have any other major health concerns, that I am aware of. I had the LAVH due to a stage 3 uterine prolapse and non-stop minor bleeding after having a baby in January of this year. The only concern other than this urine situation is the fact that I absolutely cannot lose any weight. As a matter of fact, I have gained a substantial amount of weight without any change in my diet or exercise routine. Anyway, any help or advise I could get would be so greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

There are lot of possibilities after surgery for developing urinary problems.There could be minor injury to the bladder, there could be a connection between the bladder and the vagina , there could be a ureteric injury. Sometimes it may be just ideopathic - with out any reason. Smelly urine is usually seen in infections or if there is a connection between the bladder and the bowel. But then the smell would more like fecal in that case. If that is the case then you should see an urologist asap. If not then you can wait till your appointment.All the above mentioned conditions can be diagnosed with a CT urogram or MR urogram. So most probably your urologist will ask for this test after examining you. An endoscopy maybe advised depending upon the test results. In the mean time drink plenty of water and if possible lemonade or cranberry juice which is protective for infections.

Weight gain may not be related to urological issue. There may be some hormonal imbalance which needs to be evaluated.

If you have any questions or concerns please let me know.

Dr.Tharun