khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I have had 4 ESWL procedures over the past 16 weeks. After

Customer Question

I have had 4 ESWL procedures over the past 16 weeks. After ESWL #1 I told my doctor I still felt stone pain in the kidney, and the x-ray did show 1 stone up high in the kidney. The Doctor performed Lithotripsy #2 two weeks later and found nothing, but left a stent after not using a stent for ESWL #1. Pain continued after removal of the stent, and a CT Scan was performed under the orders of my primary physician. The CT Scan revealed a kidney stone embedded within the 'meat' of my kidney, no way for it to move out of the kidney. The Doctor performed 2 ESWL procedures within a two week period, and the stone did not budge or fracture. Kidney pain continues, not a pain that runs from the kidney through the ureter, but a constant pain in the kidney area only, which increases during exercise or sitting for extended periods of time. I feel some sort of damage has occurred from so many ESWL's, and why would the Doctor perform an ESWL on a stome that cannot move out of the kidney even if it was broken up? It's now 6 weeks after the last ESWL and the pain continues. Any suggestions on how to proceed, or how long the pain will remain if the kidney has suffered damage? - Joel Thomas
Category: Urology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

If the kidney stone is very large, it should be surgically removed using small telescopes and instruments inserted through a small incision in your back. If it is smaller, a thin lighted tube equipped with a camera should be passed through your urethra and bladder to your ureter and then it should be broken into pieces so that they will pass in your urine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
useless information that can be easily found on any kidney stone website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my question was - Why were 2 ESWL procedures performed on a stone thst will never move and does not cause pain? To me the Dr subjected me to potential death from anasthsia and wanted quick money for a procedure that any intern could tell from the CT Scan that an ESWL served no purpose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is your reccomendation as far as time between eswl procedures? one week? two weeks? a month? can you give me your opinion. also is there any reason to do a shock wave procedure for a stone completely embedded within the kidney? thank you.