Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am concerned about my chances of having contracted an std

Customer Question

I am concerned about my chances of having contracted an std during a business trip in central Asia. The sexual encounter was long but protected (even changed condom halfway through for additional assurance), except for a brief oral foreplay. Now, 3 weeks later, I feel like something is stuck in my urethra (base all the way to tip) and I feel nauseous and slightly feverish. I noticed a tiny bump on my scrotum, which I fear could be related to syphillis but hard to tell. I also feel some tingling around my anus area and some discomfort in what seems to be my lymp nodes in my pubic area. An additional element is that I have tested positive to HSV 1 and 2 in the past, although I have never had an outbreak so far. From what I gathered, my symptoms range the whole gammut of possible stds. I have just done a blood and urine test to check for all stds but I feel extremely anxious and would greatly appreciate your feedback. I am also overworked and sleep-deprived at the moment. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Category: Urology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should also note that I had felt the pubic lymph nodes' discomfort/slight pain several days prior to the encounter
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

These symptoms are likely due to an infection of the prostate called prostatitis. This can be from anything from gonorrhea, chlamydia, trichomonas, syphyllis, etc. You should be empirically treated with antibiotics to cover for the most common STDs while you are waiting for the results of the STD testing. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How likely is it that, given the factual background I gave, this prostatitis is due to an std as opposed to some other infection?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

If you used protection constantly this is probably a bacterial infection that is not considered an STD. But the only way to find out is to wait for the cultures.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said in my question, I did use protection constantly, except for oral. Intercourse was only vaginal. Does the fact that oral sex was unprotected change your answer?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

No. It doesn't change my answer. This is still most likely bacterial infection and not an STD. But again, the only way to be sure is to wait for the final cultures. But based on the high-risk activity, if I were you, I would want to be treated with antibiotics to cover for the most common STDs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Would a doctor write me a prescription without having received the results from the tests, though?
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Any good doctor who treats patients with these symptoms should write a prescription empirically to cover you even without the culture results.