Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Urology Resident
Experience:  MBBS, DNB surgery and presently working as Urology resident towards the degree of Urologist.
8708167

Y...I just asked a question on a uti..I had blood at the

Customer Question

Hi dr y...I just asked a question on a uti..I had blood at the beginning..but it lasted for about an hour or so..that's what I was concerned about with bladder cancer
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

HI

Blood in urine can be due to many reasons like infection, stone, trauma , cancer etc.

If the blood was seen during the period of infection then this can be attributed to the infection itself and need not be worried. But if it happens without documented urinary infection then it has to be further investigated with ct scan and cystoscopy.

Also if you have high risk factors like smoking , earlier history of bladder cancer, exposure to chemicals detailed tests should be done with out delay.

You have to analyze these factors and then come to a decision whether bladder cancer needs to be ruled out. Anyways it is always better to a do an ultrasound scan of the kidneys and bladder as a precaution.

If you have any doubts ,please let me know.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you..I am not a smoker, and have not had any blood ever, only when I had that pain when I urinated then came the blood. Would stones have other symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Stones can cause pain in the loin region, infection and blood in urine. It can also make you to urinate more frequently.

A basic ultrasound will not be a overkill and can be easily done.

Dr.Tharun