Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

Can Foley catheter used after surgery to expedite urination

Customer Question

Can Foley catheter used after surgery to expedite urination cause damage to the penis?
Penile erosion, curvature of the penile shaft ?
Catheter was put in and taken out a number of times and left in over a period of nine days before I could urinate. Large amount of swelling inhibited urination.
I now have damage to penis, pain in glans, and weakened erection.
Can you advise on my questions?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Y. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, there is the rare potential for a catheter that was inserted dramatically to cause damage to the urethra. This can lead to scarring of the penis on rare occasion which can cause curvature to the penis. However, this would not cause any problems to interfere with your erections. I can't determine why your erections are suffering at this point but it sounds like you need to see a urologist for an examination to figure this out. You may need to be placed on medication such as Viagra or Cialis to help improve the blood flow to improve your erection. Your urologist can also evaluate your penis and urethra to see how much damage has occurred and whether not this will cause any further harm. Hope this helps and let me know if you have questions.