DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board certified internist
Experience:  In internal medicine we deal with prostate, bladder and kidney diseases, including cancers.
24257177

I have been having a number of problems with my back and

Customer Question

I have been having a number of problems with my back and stomach beginning about a month ago. I went to a regular doctor and they did xrays, and at first, they thought it was kidney stones that were causing the issues.
So, they sent me to an Urologist, and I've had the following test done on my kidney and abdominal area by the Urologist:
1) Xrays
2) Ultrasound
3) CT Scan
4) MRI
They found about an 1 inch spot on my right kidney. From my understanding, they did more test because they thought it could have been cancer, but I am grateful that is not. There is at least one simple cyst and one complex cyst on my right kidney. The complex cyst, based on test from them, is a mass, and a grade 2, but they told me that it is benign. However, I am in extreme pain, but they stated that it can't be from the cyst. I HIGHLY disagree. Based on research and "word of mouth" from nurses and friends who have experienced what I am experiencing now, it is DEFINITELY the cyst. My issues include the following:
1) Off and on abdominal pain
2) The right side of my lower back is hurting and the pain has continuously gotten worse.
3) My left side of my back is hurting now. I believe that my left kidney is attempting to compensate for the right kidney's issue.
4) Extremely Fatigued
5) Swelling from my face to my ankles (Even my fingers). I drink about a gallon of water a day.
6) My entire body hurts because of what I believe to be, kidney problems deriving from the cysts that are on my right kidney.
Also, my Urologist referred me to UAB on yesterday, 8/31. He stated that UAB will give me a call to set up an appointment.
Can someone please help me?
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Follow up with your urologist and get the test.

Also, ask if you need an MRI of the kidney and the lower spine.

This will show if it is a disc problem.

It will also characterize the complex cyst.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.