DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine self employed
61885400

Ideally I want to chat to a Nephrologist, but maybe you can

Customer Question

Hi, Ideally I want to chat to a Nephrologist, but maybe you can help.
The question I have is this; is it possible that scarring or damage in a kidney can cause abnormalities or over production in catecholamines levels. The reason I am asking is that last year I was diagnosed with having an atrophic right kidney with scarring caused by a possible urine infection. At the same I have had severe symptoms of feeling as though my body produces too much adrenaline on a daily basis for no particular reason. Bounding pulse, elevated heart rate, and hypertension are some of the symptoms.
Your thoughts please?
Category: Urology
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I am Dr. Hoellering, specialized in internal medicine, and pleased to help you.
It is absolutely impossible that a scarred kidney leads to an overproduction of catecholamines. Only certain tumors of the kidneys can do that. The scarring, by the way, might have happened much earlier and only been detected at that time. It is even possible that the kidney was atrophic from birth on.
Your symptoms could have had psychosomatic reasons or hyperthyroidism.
Hello again,
It was my pleasure to help you quickly.
You have read my answer but didn't give a positive feedback yet. Do you have any question left? Don't hesitate to ask!