DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board certified internist
Experience:  In internal medicine we deal with prostate, bladder and kidney diseases, including cancers.
24257177

A little over 20 years ago I was diagnosed with interstitial

Customer Question

A little over 20 years ago I was diagnosed with interstitial cystitis, suffering horrific pain and urgency, with white blood cells in my urine but nothing growing in a culture. My urologist used a scope and spotted lesions in my bladder which he cauterized using electricity -- a painful procedure I would not wish on a terrorist in Gitmo. That gave me about six weeks of blessed relief. But the lesions and all the other problems came back. My urologist stopped treating me then because the next option was removing part of the bladder, and he was not willing to pursue that option. So it was back to my usual drill of structuring my life around access to toilets, taking the maximum dose of Tylenol, and avoiding any food or activity that could trigger extreme pain. Finally someone felt sorry for me and offered me marijuana. The urinary urgency went away right away and after a month or two I wound up completely symptom-free. I could even eat tomatoes again. My question is -- is there any chance that any urologists will be doing any clinical trials testing marijuana for this condition? My grandmother died from bladder cancer so I am really interested in whether it was the marijuana that saved my bladder or the whether disappearance of all my bladder problems after I started using pot was just some incredible and bizarre coincidence.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Im sorry to hear about your problems.

As far as the answer to your question is concerned, yes there have been trials or for that matter small institution based studies for the use of marijuana in interstitial cystitis and even chronic prostatitis. Not necessarily in the US but in europe mainly.

There was a study by indian researchers on the functional role of cannabinoid receptors in the urinary bladder which basically stated that cannabis might have a role in voiding dysfunction and even pain. However this was a study on the function of cannabis receptors in the bladder not a study per se stating the use of cannabis in interstitial cystitis.

However considering the efficacy of marijuana in various chronic pain disorders and it is possible that marijuana might have a role in controlling the pain associated with IC. However as i stated before it will take some time and some further research into determining whether it has adefinite role. As far as your situation goes, it is entirely possible that you improved after the use of marijuana however at the same time it is also possible that the disease process subsided with regular therapy, its difficult to determine that entirely.

Please let me know if you need anymore information

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 1 year ago.
Hello
To answer your questions, there are currently zero such trials in the US government data base, no pending trials and no applications that I can find.
This would mean you are looking at years before this happens , if it does.
If you are in a marijuana state, you can probably have this prescribed for you.
Please see this link to see what is feasible for you.
http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881
I am a double board certified US doctor.
I am here daily: find me by request as needed.
Please click a positive rating on this post if you would like me to be compensated by just answer.