Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I have an foley catheter and have had one last 4 weeks. I am

Customer Question

I have an foley catheter and have had one for the last 4 weeks. I am experiencing significant leaking around the cath. Is this normal ?
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

The catheter irritates the bladder, especially the balloon end of the catheter which is inside the bladder. It induces bladder to go into spasms. So at that time you have a strong urge to pass urine and some urine leaks around the catheter. It may be associated with some pain too which lasts for few minutes and then disappears.

It is a common symptom after catheterisation.There are medications to reduce it. But if you are planning to remove the catheter shortly you can just bear with it for the short period.Otherwise you can see your doctor , who can prescribe you the medications.

Dr.Tharun