Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I am a 27 year old male. I have been experiencing sharp pain

Customer Question

I am a 27 year old male. I have been experiencing sharp pain in my left testicle on and off since December. It is enough to be noticeable. I can withstand the pain; I certainly wouldn't want to do anything invasive if unnecessary. The pain will be present
several times a day, and will sort of throb for a few minutes when present. During my annual physical my primary care physician noticed it and thought it might be a varicose vein. I was referred to a urologist who noticed something, but thought it was not
a varicose vein. The urologist still recommended an ultrasound since it seemed something could be felt, in tandem with the pain I described. The urologist read the ultrasound report and told me not to worry about it and said we'd do another ultrasound in six
months. The urologist said any exploratory surgery would be too risky, and this was just something that could be safely ignored. I am fine with waiting and ignoring this. The pain isn't enough to make me want treatment. I just want to make sure the urologist
isn't ignoring something more serious that could grow into a bigger problem later. In short, I wanted to know whether I should seek a second opinion, or just wait six months for another ultrasound. I requested a copy of the original ultrasound report and have
attached it. Thanks!
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Went through the ultrasound report. Looks like you may be having 2 harmless lesions in the testicles. They sound benign to me. As your doctor said exploration would be too radical at this stage and can even result in loss of the testicle. So wait for some time and repeat the scan. If there are some changes in the Lesions which is suspicious, we can proceed from there. Six months is good time, neither too late or early. If you are anxious enough you can repeat the scan anytime after 3 months. Testicular cancer rarely presents with pain.If you have any doubts or questions, please let me know.

Dr.Tharun