Dr. Y.
Dr. Y., Urologist
Experience:  I am fellowship trained specializing in general urology and reconstructive urology.
32613003

I did a 24 hr urine test and had a protein level of 70. Is

Customer Question

I did a 24 hr urine test and had a protein level of 70. Is it true everyone has protein in their 24 hr tests? All my labs came back in normal range. My egfr was 89. I am 39 yr old.
Category: Urology
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

HI

Yes , it is true that there is minimal proteins in the urine which is normal. It is abnormal if they are above a particular level. So you don't need to worry unless it is above 150.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My dipstick tests were all 2+. Is that bad?

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

24 Hour urine test is more accurate than on the spot dip sticks and if 24 hour sample is normal then you can just be on regular check ups.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do u see anything alarming in my labs

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Everything seems to be in normal range in the reports.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So do you consider 70 minimal? Yes I know it's in normal range but is it considered minimal? Are there any signs of kidney disease

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

All normal perosns have proteins in the urine - normal is less than 150 mg / 24 hour sample. So 70 is within normal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So you don't see anything pointing in the direction of KD in my labs? Is 2+ high on a dipstick

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Not in the blood and the urine tests. Did stick tests are just screening tests which have high false positive incidents. Positive dip sticks are later confirmed with detailed tests which give the actual picture.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is 2+ 100mg? I had 3 different ones say 2+. That's why I was worried. Is the 24 hr test a detailed test like u mentioned

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

We have to believe the better test here and assume it is normal.

You can repeat the test after 4-6 weeks.

Dr.Tharun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But the 24 hr test is a detailed test right? Do I need to retest or just in a yr

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

yes , it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Retest in 1 yr? Do I need to before that since it was all normal. If I havr pain on my backside jn my ribs that wouldn't be kidney pain would it? More muscle?

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can retest in between 6- 12 months.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is this kidney area where my pain is

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Where is your pain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My pain is at my hip area to upper buttocks. I think I slept funny the other day that's why my back hurt. It's better. My hip has bothered me for a month now. It is just an annoying pain. Still living a normal daily life

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Hip and upper buttock pain usually is not kidney related.Flank pain and groin pain may be related to kidney

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is your sciatic nerve on left or right

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Sciatic nerve is both sides.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would that be the right area? If so what can you do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We're my fist is is where my back was really bad. It much better today but still hurts if I move just right. It's below my bra line

Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 1 year ago.

Looks little high for kidney pain. It may be muscular in nature.